Woman Thinks She Contracted Mesothelioma Picking Berries

Many people believe that to suffer from the deadly duo of asbestosis or mesothelioma you had to have had direct contact with asbestos products,for example you may have worked in an asbestos factory or used asbestos in construction or building work. However many people are diagnosed with this tragic condition who may have never seen or touched […]

Many people believe that to suffer from the deadly duo of asbestosis or mesothelioma you had to have had direct contact with asbestos products,for example you may have worked in an asbestos factory or used asbestos in construction or building work. However many people are diagnosed with this tragic condition who may have never seen or touched an asbestos product in their life. So how do they manage to contract these deadly and fatal diseases of the lungs. Here are some examples from newspapers all over the world.

This first example is from the Hebden Bridge Times in the UK.

“A woman whose parents worked at the Cape Asbestos factory, Old Town, died of mesothelioma – the cancer caused by the deadly mineral. An inquest into the death of the woman heard the disease also claimed the life of her brother. The siblings’ parents had worked at Acre Mill, as spinners during the 1950s and 1960s. The children were exposed to asbestos at Christmas parties held in the factory’s canteen, the Halifax inquest heard. There was no evidence the woman, a retired cleaner, had encountered the mineral during her own employment. She was diagnosed with malignant mesothelioma in 2007. She died aged 57 at her home in Master Lane, Halifax, on April 7, 2010. Her older brother, who had moved to the USA, died aged 47 from the same disease.” In a compensation claim before her death, Mrs Shirley recalled picking bilberries and blackberries on moorland near the factory as a child, where there would be “white dust and fluff blowing about”.The siblings were also exposed to asbestos in their family’s van and from dust on their parents’ clothes, the inquest heard.

Here`s another case from Australia that was reported on the asbestos.com website.

“According to a recent lawsuit filed in Queensland, Australia, an ex-teacher aide is seeking compensation after being exposed to asbestos during the 1980s and developing mesothelioma. During the time she was working at a State Pre-School in 1983, the school was undergoing renovations to meet enrollment demands. Throughout the construction, classes continued even though the presence of asbestos had been confirmed.”

And finaly here`s another story from the UK that was published on the ContractorsCompare.com website.

“A former care home manager could have developed mesothelioma after coming into contact with asbestos dust on her husband’s clothing. The West Dorset coroner said the woman aged 77, could not remember being in close contact with asbestos dust,  the Bournemouthecho.co.uk reported.


The woman, however, did hug her husband  and wash his clothes after he was employed turning a poultry house into a new piggery.

According to the coroner, the woman, of Charlton Marshall, recalled her farm manager husband returning home with asbestos dust on his clothes, hair and eyebrows while he was carrying out the renovations.

The woman died at Dorset County Hospital this year and her demise was recorded as being a result of “environmental exposure” to the substance, the coroner ruled.”

 

Leave a Reply

 

Anti-Spam Protection by WP-SpamFree




Follow Us on:

Contact Us

Privacy Policy

Please click here to view our privacy policy.